BLOOMSBURG— Author, broadcast journalist and motivational speaker, John Quiñones will speak at Bloomsburg University for the annual Martin Luther King Jr. Commemorative Celebration. The lecture will be held Monday, Feb. 11, at 6 p.m. in Carver Hall's Gross Auditorium and is open free to the public.
Quiñones has worked in different capacities at ABC News since 1982, working on programs such as 20/20, Good Morning America, Nightline and most notably as an anchor on ABC World News Tonight. He is a seven-time Emmy Award winner for his work on ABC.
Quiñones is the author of two books, “Heroes Among Us: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Choices,” and “What Would You Do? Words of Wisdom About Doing the Right Thing.” Quiñones is also the creator and host of the show “What Would You Do?,” a hidden camera show exposing the difficult choices people make in tough situations.
Quiñones success stems from his desire to break free from the Hispanic stereotyping he experienced growing up in San Antonio, Texas. When his father asked if John wanted to pick cherries for the rest of his life, as he himself did, Quinones realized he had a choice. He committed himself to education to climb out of poverty, bringing his family along with him. Participation in the federal program, Upward Bound enabled him to attend St. Mary’s University, in Texas for Speech Communications. He began a broadcasting career while he attended Columbia University for a master’s degree in journalism.
Black History Month Events
- Wednesday, Feb. 6 — Elevate You at BU, 3 p.m., KUB Multicultural Center
- Monday, Feb. 11 — MLK Jr. Commemorative Celebration, 6 p.m., Carver Hall
- Wednesday, Feb. 13 — For the Love presented by the Black Cultural Society, 8:30 p.m., KUB Multicultural Center
- Saturday, Feb. 16 — Sankofa Conference, Kehr Union Building
- Monday, Feb. 18 — Disabilities Etiquette: Advancing Cultural Competence Across Communities by Carolyn Reid-Brown, assistant professor of exceptionalities, 5 p.m., KUB Multicultural Center
- Monday, Feb. 25 — Black Mental Health Matters by Philip Roundtree '05, founder/CEO at Quadefy LLC, 6 p.m., KUB Multicultural Center
Bloomsburg University is one of 14 universities in Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education. The university serves approximately 8,900 students, offering comprehensive programs of study in the colleges of Education, Business, Liberal Arts and Science and Technology.