For Immediate Release: Nov. 26, 2013
BLOOMSBURG—BU’s Celebrity Artist Series kicks off the holiday season with a jazz performance, “Christmas with Sara Gazarek,” Friday, Dec. 6, at 8 p.m. at Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania’s Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Tickets for the Celebrity Artist Series show are $30 for regular admission and $15 for BU students and children.
Born and raised in Seattle, Gazarek discovered jazz while singing in her high school jazz choir. During her senior year, she competed with her high school band in the Essentially Ellington Competition, hosted by the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, and received the first Ella Fitzgerald Charitable Foundation Vocal Soloist Award.
While studying jazz at the University of Southern California, she listened to recordings by Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Sonny Rollins and Hank Mobley and helped develop the JazzReach program, spending two years as a jazz choir director with inner-city elementary school children.
Gazarek’s awards include the Downbeat Student Music Award for Outstanding Collegiate Jazz Vocalist, a distinction that led to a spot on the Concord Jazz Festival Tour. She has released three CDs, including the latest, “Blossom & Bee.”
At BU, Gazarek, who is now based in Los Angeles, will perform Christmas and holiday classics with her instrumental trio. Upcoming BU Celebrity Artist Series productions for the 2013-2014 season include:
- Project Trio, classical chamber music with the stage presence and energy of rock stars – Friday, Feb. 7, 2014, at 7 p.m. in Carver Hall, Kenneth S. Gross Auditorium. Tickets: $30
- Christopher O’Riley, classic-contemporary pianist – Saturday, Feb. 22, 2014, at 7 p.m. in Carver Hall, Kenneth S. Gross Auditorium. Tickets: $30
- “American Idiot,” Broadway performance based on Green Day’s multi-platinum album – Friday, March 7, 2014, at 8 p.m. in the Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Tickets: $45
- “Swan Lake,” classical ballet, romantic tale of Prince Siegfried and Princess Odett – Saturday, March 29, 2014, at 8 p.m. in the Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Tickets: $35
- The Pedrito Martinez Group, world-class conga player, singer and bandleader – Saturday, April 13, 2014, at 7 p.m. in Carver Hall, Kenneth S. Gross Auditorium. Tickets: complimentary but required.
For tickets, visit bloomu.edu/CAS or call the box office at 570-389-4409.
Bloomsburg University is one of 14 universities in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. The university serves approximately 10,000 students, offering comprehensive programs of study in the colleges of Education, Business, Liberal Arts and Science and Technology.