BLOOMSBURG — Bloomsburg University will celebrate homecoming weekend Saturday, Oct. 13, with Chang Shub Roh, sociology professor emeritus, as grand marshal of the homecoming parade. More than 700 alumni are expected to return to campus to participate in activities being held throughout the day.
The annual parade will begin at 11 a.m. in the Geisinger - Bloomsburg Hospital parking lot along Lightstreet Road before continuing on College Hill to Main and Market streets and concluding at Town Park. This year's theme is “Action Packed Homecoming — Superheroes Unite.”
Roh, retired after 25 years of service at Bloomsburg University. In 1991, in cooperation with colleagues from BU, he founded the Global Awareness Society International, which promotes world peace, understanding and respect for other cultures through global education. He is also a founder of the Friends of BU Library Association and active in many community organizations. He was named an honorary BU alumnus in 2009.
Alumni festivities kick off Saturday with a Comic Coffee House from 9 to 11 a.m. at the Alumni House. Roongo’s “Marvel”ous Tent Party, the annual gathering for alumni, will be held from noon until 2:30 p.m. and will include a complimentary lunch, children’s games, live entertainment by WHLM 103.5 radio and a beer tasting by sponsors Marley’s Brewery and Grille, Bloomsburg; Turkey Hill Brewing Co., Lightstreet; and Berwick Brewing Co., Berwick. The presenting sponsor of the event is Liberty Mutual Insurance.
Shuttle bus and walking tours will be offered on Saturday, and the BU Alumni Association and BU Program Board are sponsoring the free film, “The Amazing Spiderman,” at 8 p.m. Saturday on the Academic Quad. In case of rain, the film will be shown in the Kehr Union.
Highlights of this year’s homecoming, all on Saturday, include:
- An open house from 9 to 10:30 a.m. to mark the 50th anniversary of BU’s Environmental, Geographical and Geological Sciences Department, formerly the Department of Geography and Geosciences. Graduates may meet with faculty, tour the new wing of Hartline Science Center and enjoy a complimentary continental breakfast.
- Featured reunion groups at the alumni tent party including former student life leaders; Environmental, Geographical and Geological Sciences Department graduates; and members of the classes of 1972, 1982, 1992 and 2002.
- A reception for multicultural, ACT 101/EOP, and Board of Governors alumni network, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the Alumni House.
- Men’s soccer vs. Shippensburg, beginning at 2 p.m.
- Football, Huskies vs. East Stroudsburg, at Redman Stadium, with a kickoff at 3:30 p.m. Tickets: $10 for adults; $5 for students and senior citizens.
- Women’s Soccer vs. Shippensburg, beginning at 4:30 p.m.
Bloomsburg University is one of 14 universities in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. BU serves approximately 10,000 students, offering comprehensive programs of study in the colleges of Education, Business, Liberal Arts and Science and Technology.