For immediate release: Sept. 21, 2007
BLOOMSBURG — Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania’s 2007-08 Celebrity Artist Series continues with a performance by the East Village Opera company on Friday, Oct. 5, at 8 p.m. in Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall.
The East Village Opera Company, made up of a five-piece band, string quartet and two vocalists, mixes opera and rock ’n’ roll with original, hard-hitting arrangements of music’s “greatest hits,” including “La donna e mobile” from “Rigoletto,” “Habanera” from “Carmen” and “Nessun dorma” from “Turnadot.” The pieces are performed full length in the original languages.
Co-founded by lead singer Tyley Ross and arranger/multi-instrumentalist Peter Kiesewalter, the East Village Opera Company presents classic opera in a fresh and different way.
“We have a profound love and respect for the opera,” Kiesewalter said. “But it’s so dramatic, so over-the-top by today’s standards, that it cannot be delivered with a straight face. You need a little bit of irreverence in it.”
According to Ross, “Our goal has been to approach these songs the way we feel the composers would were they alive today.”
Tickets are $20 for adults; $10 for BU students and children age 12 and younger.
Other programs in the Celebrity Artist Series’ 22nd season are listed below. All will be presented in Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall.
- “The Producers,” Monday, Oct. 29, at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $25 for adults.
- Illusionist Mike Super, Saturday, Nov. 3, at 7 p.m. Tickets are $20 for adults.
- Poinsettia Pops, Friday, Dec. 7, at 7 p.m. Admission is free.
- Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Saturday, Feb. 16, 2008, at 8 p.m. Tickets are $20 for adults.
- Paul Taylor Dance Company, Saturday, April 5, 2008, at 8 p.m. Tickets are $20 for adults.
- “Evita,” Sunday, April 13, 2008, at 8 p.m. Tickets are $25 for adults.
- BU Jazz Festival, featuring Bobby Zankel & The Warriors of Wonderful Sound, Friday, April 25, 2008, at noon. Tickets are $5 for adults.
Also available to Celebrity Artist Series patrons is membership in the Celebrity Circle. For $35 per person or $50 per couple, Celebrity Circle members receive advance notice of all shows, a non-transferable reserved parking pass, invitations to special events and first choice of seats. Ticket handling fees are waived for members.
Bloomsburg University is one of 14 universities in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. The university serves approximately 8,000 students, offering comprehensive programs of study in the colleges of Professional Studies, Business, Liberal Arts and Science and Technology.