For immediate release: Sept. 20, 2007
BLOOMSBURG — Alumni of Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania will display their creative pieces from Oct. 1 to 26 in the Haas Gallery of Art. A reception will be held on Friday, Oct. 19, from 6 to 9 p.m. in the gallery, featuring presentations by the artists. Admission is free and open to the public.
The exhibition, “Art of the Alumni,” will feature the work of 16 BU alumni who graduated from 1978 to 2006 and include photography, painting, video, mixed media and sculpture. According to Lee Millard, a 2002 BU graduate and Haas Gallery associate, the show was proposed by 2003 BU graduate Michael Kalmbach and will be the first exhibit of alumni art in more than a decade. “The main reason for the exhibition is not only to showcase art, but to show current students what past students have accomplished,” said Millard.
Participants and media include:
- Michelle Bittenbender ’03, collage. Bittenbender currently is developing her own design consulting business, with a focus on residential interiors.
- Dan Blackledge ’83, watercolor. Blackledge’s work has been featured in juried exhibitions, including the Lewisburg Arts Festival annual show at the Packwood House Museum, where he was one of the award winners in 2005.
- Rafael J. Canizares ’91, sculpture. Currently a full-time studio artist, Canizares is assisting a two-year project to create an original stage adaptation of the epic, “Gilgamesh.”
- Elaine Chong ’98, painting. Chong is assistant professor at the College of Saint Elizabeth, N.J.
- Bob Deane ’88, ceramic. Deane is a pottery teacher at institutions in the greater Philadelphia area.
- Frank DePietro ’97, painting. DePietro has participated in many group and solo exhibitions and currently lives and works in Philadelphia.
- Catherine Haggarty ’06, mixed media. Haggarty is currently creating a body of work for an exhibition at Chet Davis’ gallery in Shamokin.
- Hye Sun Hong, master of fine arts, 2002, mixed media. Hong is a studio artist exploring the qualities and structure of the Korean knot.
- Michael Kalmbach ’03, painting. Kalmbach currently is working on his thesis for a master of fine arts degree from the University of Delaware.
- Tai Woong Kang, master of fine arts, 2001, painting/ceramic. Kang recently had solo exhibitions in San Francisco and Philadelphia.
- Alisa Sickora Kleckner ’99, costume design. Kleckner teaches costume design and construction, puppet theatre and stage makeup at Arcadia University.
- Lisa H-Millard ’03, mixed media sculpture. Recently a competitor in HGTV’s reality show, “Design Star,” she designs commercial and residential spaces.
- Lee S. Millard ’02, mixed media sculpture. Millard is director of BU’s Haas Gallery and adjunct professor at Marywood University in Scranton.
- Rebecca Morgan ’06, drawing/printmaking. Morgan currently is working toward a master of fine arts degree at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Marie M. Walters ’78, photography. A studio artist, Walters serves as a substitute teacher in the Bloomsburg Area and Central Columbia school districts.
- Leigh Wettereau ’06, video. Wettereau recently showed her film, “Daily,” at the Athens Film Festival and is a graduate assistant at Ohio University.
Bloomsburg University is one of 14 universities in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. The university serves approximately 8,000 students, offering comprehensive programs of study in the colleges of Professional Studies, Business, Liberal Arts and Science and Technology.