BLOOMSBURG— Providing the keynote address to Bloomsburg University's upcoming Zeigler Institute for Professional Development (ZIPD) Business Conference is Kris Jones, a Pennsylvania native, entrepreneur, investor and best-selling author.
Jones will present “Entrepreneurship, Execution and Giving Back to the Community” on Thursday, Nov. 2, at 11 a.m. in Carver Hall's Kenneth S. Gross Auditorium. He will address, "Why do only the 10% succeed?," and present real-world tips and strategies as to why community impact is a key function of entrepreneurship.
His keynote address is open free to the public.
The annual ZIPD conference, hosted by the Terry and JoAnn Zeigler College of Business
Jones chose an untraditional path to entrepreneurship earning an undergraduate degree in psychology from Pennsylvania State University and a Master’s Degree in experimental psychology from Villanova University. Jones continued his education to a doctorate level, earning a Juris Doctorate from Albany Law School.
In 1999, Jones changed paths and broke into the business world founding Pepperjam, an internet-marketing agency. In 2009, Jones sold the company to eBay Enterprise and later founded and sold several businesses in the Northeastern PA region.
Jones is now the founder of KBJ Capital, an early stage technology investment fund that has funded several multi-million dollar startup companies. Jones serves as CEO of three of the KBJ companies including ReferLocal.com, LSEO.com and APPEK Mobile Apps.
Jones has found success not just as an entrepreneur but also as a best-selling writer and professional speaker. He published his best-selling book “Search-Engine Optimization: Your Visual Blueprint to Effective Internet Marketing” in 2008 and has contributed over 300 articles to top publications including Forbes, Fast Company and the Chicago Tribune.
Jones speaks around the world on the topics of entrepreneurship and investment to colleges and universities as well as at national business conferences. His most recent speaking engagements included the annual Disney Interactive Global Summit and SEOktoberfest, which he has spoken at five times.
Jones was a finalist for the Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the Year and awarded Entrepreneur of the Year by Bank of America in 2005 and is also an honorary member of the Volunteers of America Community Philanthropist Award for his dedication to his community.
2017 ZIPD Business Conference
Thursday, Nov. 2
- 8 to 9:15 a.m. — Networking Breakfast (Participants, Faculty, Staff) Sutliff Hall (SH) 2nd Floor Lobby Sponsored by BU Alumni Assoc. & the Zeigler Institute for Professional Development
- 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. — Pre-Conference Workshops (Individual Presentations & Panel Discussions) – SH, KUB
- 11 to 12:15 p.m. — Keynote Address: Kristopher Jones, Founder & Former CEO Pepperjam www.krisjones.com Carver Hall (Free & Open to the Public)
- 12:30 to 1:45 p.m. — Student Lunch - Table Discussions (Participants, Faculty, Staff, Students) KUB Ballroom Sponsored by Kelly Lewis, President/CEO, Lewis Strategic Opening welcome remarks: Dean Jeffrey Krug; Zeigler Student Scholarship Recipients Introduction by Carolyn LaMacchia
- 12:30 to 1:45 p.m. — Business Industry Luncheon Suites - private luncheon sessions targeting students interested in joining the workforce in Management, Marketing, Professional Sales and Supply Chain Management. (Concurrent Luncheon Event) Sponsored by: Eastern Alliance Insurance SH 253 Bimbo Bakeries. SH 252
- 2 to 3:15 p.m. — "Walk the Mock" (Participants and Students) (Concurrent Event) KUB Multi B Sponsored by: SEKISUI | SPI
- 2 to 3:15 p.m. — ZED Talks Seven professionals inspire with seven minute mini talks about what it takes to be successful. (Concurrent Event) KUB Multi A
- 2 to 3:15 p.m. — Panel Discussions (Participants, Students) (Concurrent Event) SH, KUB
- 3:30 to 4:30 — p.m. Panel Discussions (Participants, Students) SH, KUB, MCHS
- 5:30 to 7 p.m. — Networking Cocktails & hors d'oeuvres (Participants, Faculty Staff, Students) KUB Ballroom Sponsored by: John Braganini, St. Julian Winery
Friday, Nov. 3
- 7:30 to 9 a.m. — Networking Breakfast (Participants, Faculty, Staff) SH 2nd Floor Lobby Sponsored by BU Alumni Assoc. & the Zeigler Institute for Professional Development
- 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. — Zeigler Case Competition (Participants, Faculty, Staff) (Concurrent event) KUB Multi A, B
- 9 to 9:50 a.m. — Individual Presentations and Panel Discussion (Concurrent event) SH, KUB, MCHS
- 10 to 10:50 a.m. — Panel Discussions (Concurrent event) SH, KUB, MCHS
- 11 to 11:50 a.m. — Panel Discussions (Concurrent event) SH, KUB
- 12:30 to 1:45 p.m. — President's Luncheon (Participants, Faculty, Staff, Students) KUB Ballroom
Bloomsburg University is one of 14 universities in Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education. The university serves approximately 9,600 students, offering comprehensive programs of study in the colleges of Education, Business, Liberal Arts and Science and Technology.