For Immediate Release: April 27, 2015
BLOOMSBURG — James Cole, professor emeritus of Bloomsburg University’s Department of Biological and Allied Health Sciences, was named an honorary alumnus during an Alumni Awards dinner on Saturday, April 25. Eight graduates were recognized for significant contributions to their professions or the university.
Cole, of Bloomsburg, began his tenure at BU as an associate professor of biological sciences in 1968, retiring after 33 years. He was instrumental in expanding the Department of Biological Services to include Allied Health Sciences. He also served the community as a member of the board of directors for Columbia/Montour Home Health for 32 years, holding positions as president and treasurer.
- Distinguished Service: John Chapin ’85, Aliquippa, professor of communications at Penn State University and a professional and personal advocate for victims of domestic violence. He serves as president of the board of directors of the Women’s Center of Beaver County and as a volunteer at Allegheny County’s Crisis Center North, Pittsburgh.
- Distinguished Service: Gary Williams ’78, Kissimmee, Fla., a retired special agent for the State of California and recipient of numerous awards and commendations for fighting gang violence during his 28-year career in law enforcement. He was the lead agent and instructor contracted by the U.S. Department of State for training police, prison staff and federal prosecutors.
- Maroon and Gold Excellence Award: Greg Bowden ’01, Collegeville, a financial adviser and vice president of wealth management for UBS Financial Services. A past president of the BU Alumni Association Board of Directors, he is an active volunteer and advocate for the university and his Greek community, Alpha Chi Rho.
- Maroon and Gold Excellence Award: Craig Evans ’03, Abington, a certified public accountant and manager of audit and accounting at Kreischer Miller, Horsham. He is an active volunteer and advocate for the university.
- William T. Derricott Volunteer of the Year: Ted Hodgins ’89, Schwenksville, senior director of customer experience for Comcast. A BU Alumni Association Board member since 2009, Hodgins has volunteered in numerous capacities in support of the university and alumni association in the past year.
- Outstanding Alumni Career Connectors: Brian Case ’83, human resources manager, human resources and corporate services, PPL Corp., Allentown; Stephen Carr ’97, manager, audit and accounting, Kreischer Miller, Horsham; and Crystal Skotedis ’03, director, Boyer & Ritter CPAs and Consultants, Camp Hill. All have provided career and professional development experiences to current students through the university’s Professional U initiative.
Honorees are selected each year by the BU Alumni Association.
Bloomsburg University is one of 14 universities in Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education. The university serves approximately 10,000 students, offering comprehensive programs of study in the colleges of Education, Business, Liberal Arts and Science and Technology.