For Immediate Release: March 2, 2015
BLOOMSBURG — Two Bloomsburg University students received leadership awards during the university’s first Legacy of Leadership Banquet on Saturday, Feb. 28.
- Jessa Wood, Orangeville, a senior majoring in philosophy and psychology, Outstanding Student Mentor Award recognizing outstanding leadership as a mentor for a fellow student or group of students.
- Eric Michael Schwartz, York, a sophomore majoring in exercise science, H. Preston Herring Scholarship for leadership and service to the Town of Bloomsburg and the BU community through volunteering, community employment and participation in on-campus organizations. The award is named in honor of BU’s late vice president of student affairs.
In addition to student awards, the following honors were given:
- Pi Lambda Phi, Student Organization of the Year Award, for demonstrating outstanding leadership qualities through involvement in campus events, leadership development, organizational programming and service.
- Chaza Abdul, instructor of business education and information and technology management, Student Organization Adviser of the Year Award, for involvement in the student organization Odyssey of the Mind.
- Former student leaders Paul Kappel ’89, Susan Kocher ’88 and Shawn Rosler ’02, Legacy of Leadership inductees for continuing to demonstrate leadership skills in their personal and professional lives.
The awards ceremony was held as part of BU’s Husky Student Leadership Summit, a free day-long conference presented by BU alumni, faculty, staff and student leaders, and sponsored by the Office of Alumni Engagement, Center for Leadership and Engagement and Community Government Association.