For Immediate Release: Oct. 1, 2014
BLOOMSBURG — In celebration of Bloomsburg University’s 175th anniversary, the Celebrity Artist Series is adding a little rhythm to the fall semester with a performance by the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra, led by musical and artistic director Wynton Marsalis.
The internationally acclaimed group of 15 leading jazz soloists will perform on Friday, Oct. 10, at 8 p.m. in Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Tickets are $45 for adults and $22 for children and BU students.
Headed by the Grammy Award-winning director, the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra continues to entertain jazz lovers with unique rhythms and fine-tuned classics. The group represents the wholeness of the jazz genre through their celebration of individual freedom and expression.
The group’s performances include original compositions by Marsalis, Ted Nash and other members of the orchestra, as well as works from various jazz composers.
Upcoming BU Celebrity Artist Series productions in the 2014-15 season include:
- “Shaping Sound,” performance featuring stars of “So You Think You Can Dance,” Travis Wall and Nick Lazzarini – Sunday, Nov. 9, 8 p.m. in the Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Tickets $35.
- The Illusionists: Witness the Impossible, the world’s best-selling magic show performing for the last time before opening on Broadway – Saturday, Nov. 22, 8 p.m. in the Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Tickets: $35.
- From “America’s Got Talent,” Forte, the musical trio including Central Columbia High School graduate, Sean Panikkar – Saturday, Dec. 6, 8 p.m. in the Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Tickets: $35.
- Orquesta Sinfonica del Estada de Mexico, a classical and contemporary orchestral experience – Friday, Feb. 6, 2015, 8 p.m. in the Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Tickets: $30.
- Tango Buenos Aires, a journey through dance and music from Argentina – Saturday, Feb. 21, 2015, 8 p.m. in the Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Tickets $30.
- “Jekyll & Hyde,” the dazzling and dark National Broadway tour – Sunday, March 29, 2015, 8 p.m. in the Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Tickets: $45.
- Take 6, six voices combine to form the most awarded a cappella group in history – Thursday, April 2, 2015, 8 p.m. in the Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Tickets: $30.
- Rani Arbo & Daisy Mayhem, American Spiritual, 150 years of American music in one event – Friday, April 17, 2015, 7:30 p.m. in Carver Hall, Kenneth S. Gross Auditorium. Tickets $25.
For tickets or more information visit www.cas.buzz or call the box office at 570-389-4409.
Bloomsburg University is one of 14 universities in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. The university, celebrating 175 years of excellence in 2014, serves approximately 10,000 students, offering comprehensive programs of study in the colleges of Education, Business, Liberal Arts and Science and Technology.