For Immediate Release: Nov. 1, 2013
BLOOMSBURG—L.A. Theatre Works brings cult favorite “The Graduate” to life on Friday, Nov. 15, at 8 p.m. at Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania’s Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Tickets for the Celebrity Artist Series show are $35 for general admission and $17 for BU students and children.
From novel to big screen, the film received multiple Academy Award nominations and remains one of the top-grossing films. L.A. Theatre Works, known for the spontaneity of its live performances, takes “The Graduate” to stage embodying character favorites Mrs. Robinson, Benjamin, Elaine and other. Based on Charles Webb’s novel, this production coincides with the 50th anniversary of its publication.
Reviewer Caroline Sposto of Broadway World praises the new production for “the skillful use of an innovative genre bolstered by deft direction, peerless performances and spellbinding sound design.
“Their reprisal of this classic is a fascinating hybrid — radio production meets stage production — that unfailingly delivers the best of both. The actors appear in costume and are physically suited to their roles, but they perform with minimal staging. Live manual sound effects replace props and there are no sets per se. As a result, vocal nuances, full-on facial expressions and solid literary writing carry the fast-paced performance.”
Upcoming BU Celebrity Artist Series productions for the 2013-2014 season include:
- Sara Gazarek, Los Angeles-based jazz vocalist performs holiday classics – Friday, Dec. 6, at 8 p.m. in the Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Tickets: $30
- Project Trio, classical chamber music with the stage presence and energy of rock stars – Friday, Feb. 7, 2014, at 7 p.m. in Carver Hall, Kenneth S. Gross Auditorium. Tickets: $30
- Christopher O’Riley, classic-contemporary pianist – Saturday, Feb. 22, 2014, at 7 p.m. in Carver Hall, Kenneth S. Gross Auditorium. Tickets: $30
- “American Idiot,” Broadway performance based on Green Day’s multi-platinum album – Friday, March 7, 2014, at 8 p.m. in the Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Tickets: $45
- “Swan Lake,” classical ballet, romantic tale of Prince Siegfried and Princess Odett – Saturday, March 29, 2014, at 8 p.m. in the Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Tickets: $35
- The Pedrito Martinez Group, world-class conga player, singer and bandleader – Saturday, April 13, 2014, at 7 p.m. in Carver Hall, Kenneth S. Gross Auditorium. Tickets: complimentary but required.
For tickets or more information, visit www.bloomu.edu/CAS or call the box office at 570-389-4409.
Bloomsburg University is one of 14 universities in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. The university serves approximately 10,000 students, offering comprehensive programs of study in the colleges of Education, Business, Liberal Arts and Science and Technology.