For immediate release: Feb. 24, 2010
BLOOMSBURG — Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania’s Council of Trustees approved room and board fees for 2010-11 during the Feb. 24 quarterly meeting. The action raises the fees by an overall 5.5 percent, or $198 per semester, for the most popular options.
Jeff Long, interim vice president for Student Affairs, said BU’s room and board fees remain among the lowest of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education’s (PASSHE) 14 universities. Projections show 12 PASSHE universities will have higher board fees than BU next year and 11 will have higher room fees, he added.
In a related matter, the Trustees also approved the fee schedule for 2010-11, including fees for technology, transportation, health service and the Student Recreation Center. Tuition for all 14 universities will be set in July by the PASSHE Board of Governors.
Also during the meeting, the Trustees approved resolutions:
- Honoring BU’s field hockey team and retiring Coach Jan Hutchinson for their fourth straight national championship and 16th overall National Collegiate Athletic Association title.
- Honoring departing student Trustee Terrell Garrett for his service. Garrett will graduate from BU this spring.
- Authorizing a System-financed renovation project for Elwell Residence Hall.
- Giving the go-ahead to pursue approvals for a pedestrian bridge from Honeysuckle Apartments to the BU campus.
Robert Dampman, Trustees vice chair, reported on the recent informal evaluation of BU President David Soltz. The review, which included responses from 23 individuals, showed “Dr. Soltz is a strong ambassador for Bloomsburg University,” Dampman said.
The Trustees also:
- Approved the capital project request which prioritizes the university’s construction “wish list” for funding. The projects on the list are a renovation and addition for the Waller Administration Building and a renovation for the McCormick Center.
- Recognized faculty emeritus status for Nancy Weyant who retired as Andruss Library’s reference coordinator with more than a decade of service.
- Appointed Trustees Ramona Alley, Lee Davis and Joseph Mowad to the nominating committee. A slate of officers will be presented at the June meeting.
- Heard an overview of BU’s 2008-09 audit from Andrea Caladie of ParenteBeard.
Bloomsburg University is one of 14 universities in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. The university serves approximately 9,000 students, offering comprehensive programs of study in the colleges of Education, Business, Liberal Arts and Science and Technology.